Recently there has been a lot of buzz about about “No-Salt” water gadgets and “Salt- Free” water devices advertised on TV and promoted by plumbing companies. The implied (and often stated) message is that you can get the benefits of SOFT WATER without a water softener. This is simply not true – there aren’t any effective “Salt-Free” alternatives for water softening. Laboratory tests by third parties (like the Army Corp of Engineers) indicate that these alternative “No-Salt” gadgets do not “soften” the water. The claims that these devices effectively eliminate scale effectively and consistently have also been de-bunked in laboratory tests.
Here’s the Skinny
Soft Water works:
• Soft water reduces soap use by up to 75%. This was proven in recent tests by the Battelle group.
• Soft water effectively (and measurably) reduces scale build up in hot water heaters.
• Soft water dramatically reduces water spots on glassware and shower doors—you can see the results.
• Soft water leaves hair silky and skin soft — it is the foundation of beauty care.
• Clever ads and customer anecdotes are no substitute for the rigors of laboratory testing.
If you are considering a “Salt-Free” water gadget for your home or business you really need to get the facts first. And the fact is you can only get the real benefits of soft water – from a water softener.